Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Painter by Peter Heller

My rating: 4.8

When I first started this book, I wasn’t sure what I thought of it. The main character, Jim Stegner is not a very likable character.  He is a man with a lot of violence and loss – he is haunted by his mother’s death when he was a teenager and by his teenager daughter’s murder as well as by a man he shot years ago in a bar. He also has a peaceful side that is expressed through his fly fishing and his painting.  He is a successful artist represented by a Santa Fe agent. 

The writing is absolutely pitch perfect stunning and that is what kept me reading despite not caring for Jim and even finding the story line a little boring.  And then something happened…Jim, along with the story, got under my skin and I couldn’t wait to get back to this book.  It is violent, savage and uncomfortable. It is also good.

This isn't as good as his first novel The Dog Stars but, still excellent. Thank you Mr. Heller!  I hope you are working on your 3rd book.

No comments:

Post a Comment