Monday, July 20, 2015

Our Souls At Night by Kent Haruf

Rating: 4.8

This is a beautiful novella that I loved from the opening page until the last page.  Addie Moore pays an unexpected visit to a neighbor, Louis Waters. Her husband died years ago, as did his wife, and in such a small town they naturally have known of each other for decades; in fact, Addie was quite fond of Louis’s wife. His daughter lives hours away in Colorado Springs, her son even farther away in Grand Junction, and Addie and Louis have long been living alone in houses now empty of family, the nights so terribly lonely, especially with no one to talk with. Addie is about to change all that.


This quiet, thought provoking story touched me. I could see this making a very interesting discussion at a book club. So sad that this is the last of Haruf's works as he is such a beautiful writer. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh so glad you enjoyed this book. I have been on my library list since I saw in BookMarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when my library hold came in for this. It was a super quick read. A quiet book that I enjoyed cover to cover. Let me know your thoughts on it. xoxo

      Delete