Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

My Rating: 5.0

I have had girlfriends recommending this book to me for years. I knew two things about it, neither of which were selling points: 1) It is a Western 2) It is long.  When I started it, it seemed very slow and rambling and I thought "I don't think this book is for me". My girlfriend made me promise to read 100 pages before I gave up on it.  By about page 50 I was hooked.


Wow.  I loved it.  I loved all the characters but especially Gus (my gf is going to call her next dog Gus!). This is about a cattle drive from Texas to Montana.  I 'felt' what it was like to live in those times.  This is amongst my all time favorite books. Did I say 'wow' already?  Amazing! Read it.  You won't be sorry.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I have had this on my bookshelf for years and for the same two reasons I have been reluctant to give it a go. I have heard from so many people to just read it. Ok,ok...moving up on my list, I am glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets off to a slow start but, then you will LOVE it!

      Delete
  2. This is McMurtry's best IMO. I have read it twice, the first time at about 22 and I loved it. I reread it a year ago and found it unbearably sad. Still wonderful but almost too sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, my dear friend, are one of the girlfriends who convinced me to read it and I am so glad. I am procrastinating reading the others in the series as I have heard they aren't as good. Right now, I am savoring Gus and Cara :-)

      Delete
  3. Lonesome Dove is one of my all-time favorite books. I recall first reading it back in the 1980's and then I re-read in about 15 years later. I also do recommend the DVD series - Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall did not disappoint me. After seeing your endorsement, I may actually go and enjoy the book all over again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought the dvd and I can't wait for Mark to finish reading the book so we can watch it! xoxo

      Delete