Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout

My rating: 2.0

Don't hate me but, I have realized that I am just not an Elizabeth Strout fan. Her writing is sound but it is the depressing characters and story lines that don't go anywhere. This is the third book of hers I have read and I find them all too dysfunctional with unappealing characters and this one is no different.


This is the story of Lucy's mother, who she hasn't spoken to in years, coming to visit her in the hospital while she is recovering from surgery. They mainly gossip about people from the past but Lucy also remembers some things from her childhood and the tension in their relationship is always there right below what isn't said.  I found this very melancholy and just not my cup of tea.

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand your feelings! This book was very melancholy. I did not enjoy Olive Kitteridge but I did like this book, her writing is very good. I could have just been in the right frame of mind to read. You need a good read next, you have had a few recently that haven't worked for you;)
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it too Elle ... hah feel like I'm supposed to love her, but it just doesn't click for me!

      Delete
    2. You are right Jeana that I was due for a good one and I just finished that book...Front Lines. Really enjoyed it.

      Delete