Friday, December 8, 2017

Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie

My rating: 4.8

This is about 2 very different Muslim families and how they choose to show/display their Muslim beliefs as well as how they are perceived.  It revolves around three siblings who never knew their jihadist father before his death. When their mother dies, Isma has to step in and raise her younger siblings. They are now 18 years old and Isma is free to leave London and pursue her education in America. She leaves her siblings, twin sister and brother, back in London never imaging what will unfold.


I have to admit that the first 2/3rds of this book dragged in spots for me.  Then the last portion was so riveting I couldn't put it down. After I finished it, I understood why the first portion built so many details that were relevant later on. The ending was ....well, you will have to read it but, I had so many varying thoughts on 'who knew what' with the ending. Wow. I think this would make an amazing book club discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment