Wednesday, February 26, 2020

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

My Rating: 3.4

1n 1946, Cyril buys an extravagant mansion and presents it to his wife Elna. Elna hates it and eventually runs away to serve the poor, leaving behind her children Maeve and Danny. Five years later, Cyril remarries to Andrea who, eventually puts Maeve and Danny out on the streets penniless.


This is told in flashbacks through Danny. It is sad how Danny and Maeve can never seem to let go of the past and move on. Although I adore Patchett's writing, I wasn't enthralled with the characters or the story-line.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review. I love Patchett's writing and was looking forward to listening to the audio version of this book. I may still get to it but it will move down the list.
    Jeana
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete