Monday, June 29, 2020

If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha

My Rating: 4.4

Kyuri is an achingly beautiful woman with a hard-won job at a Seoul “room salon,” an exclusive underground bar where she entertains businessmen while they drink.

Miho, is Kyuris roomate. She is a talented artist who grew up in an orphanage but won a scholarship to study art in New York.

Ara lives down the hall and is a hairstylist whose two preoccupations sustain her: an obsession with a boy-band pop star, and a best friend who is saving up for the extreme plastic surgery that she hopes will change her life.

Wonna lives one floor below, and is a newlywed trying to have a baby that she and her husband have no idea how they can afford to raise in Korea’s brutal economy.


I almost stopped reading this as it was so superficial and all about how these girls looked. I stuck with it and found myself drawn into the Korean world of these four women. Before long, I found it flowing seamlessly until the wonderful ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment