Monday, November 22, 2021

Love & Ruin by Paula McLean

My Rating: 4.8


In 1937 Martha Gellhorn travels to Spain alone to be a war correspondent. She writes as frantically as she can so she doesn't forget a single detail in the articles to be published by Colliers. She ends up falling in love with the up and coming Ernest Hemingway. 

McLean does a phenomenal job of bringing both Gellhorn and the war to life with graphic beauty. As per other books I have read, Hemingway is not a likeable person. Thankfully, this book is mainly focused on Martha Gellhorn and not Hemingway. Martha had an incredible life and this has beautiful writing that captures to much. This makes me want to read Martha Gellhorn's actual writings of her war coverage. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how did I miss this one? I love her writing. Heading to the library app right now.
    Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete