Tuesday, May 23, 2023

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

My Rating: 4.5


An 1850 novel that was considered a masterpiece for it's time. Set in 17th century Massachusetts, Hester has a daughter through an affair. She is condemned as a sinner by the town and forced to wear a scarlet letter A. As her daughter grows she feels the stigma put upon her mother. Her mother, tries to live within the community that will not have her while trying to repent for her sins.



This wasn't a great read but, in hindsight, it grew on me. I couldn't figure out how Hester had no resentment - towards the town or the man who fathered the child. Towards the end of the novel, you discover who the father is (although there were clues along the way) and you see reason she never said anything - she loved him.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks friend for this review. I plan to read this year. I attempted maybe two years ago and gave up. You are the second reader that told me that it really stayed with thrm after reading.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed "Hester" a lot more but, I am glad I read this one so at least I can say I read it! ♥

      Delete