Saturday, August 3, 2024

Clear by Carys Davies

 My Rating: 1.5


John, an impoverished Scottish minister, has accepted a job evicting the lone remaining occupant of an island north of Scotland—Ivar, who has been living alone for decades, with only the animals and the sea for company. Though his wife, Mary, has serious misgivings about the errand, he decides to go anyway, setting in motion a chain of events that neither he nor Mary could have predicted. Shortly after John reaches the island, he falls down a cliff and is found, unconscious and badly injured, by Ivar who takes him home and tends to his wounds. The two men do not speak a common language, but as John builds a dictionary of Ivar’s world, they learn to communicate and, as Ivar sees himself for the first time in decades reflected through the eyes of another person, they build a fragile, unusual connection.


This was VERY slow and boring. I hate when a woke Liberal agenda gets inserted into a book and this did it when I was very far into the book. The only reason I am rating it as high as I did is that I enjoy learning something new about history but definitely do NOT recommend this book

3 comments:

  1. So sorry this didn’t work for you. I enjoyed the atmospheric writing and learning the historical aspects very much. It was definitely extremely quiet and slow and the ending was very implausible and I really disliked that part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the writing and learning about the historical aspects but the ending just put me off so much. I wish that books would stop inserting things like that or putting it EARLY on in the book so people can decide if they want to read that. Yes, I know that was part of the big 'surprise' which is why it was at the end lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could have been perfectly fine without the “big surprise”. I could have seen them remaining friends and the pastor and his wife allowing him to go back with them and helping him establish a life off the island.

    ReplyDelete