Saturday, September 7, 2024

The Wife, The Maid and The Mistress by Ariel Lawhon

My Rating: 3.6


It's 1930 and Judge Joseph Crater steps into a New York City cab and is never heard from again. Behind this great man are three women, each with her own tale to tell: Stella, his fashionable wife, the picture of propriety; Maria, their steadfast maid, indebted to the judge; and Ritzi, his showgirl mistress, willing to seize any chance to break out of the chorus line. This mystery takes us into the smoky jazz clubs, the seedy backstage dressing rooms, and the shadowy streets beneath the Art Deco skyline.


I didn't care abuot any of the characters (some were less likable than others) but I did like the ending. I have loved many or Ariel Lawhon's books and will continue to read others by her. I appreciated that this was based on the true story and she created an interesting explanation for what could have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment