Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Pines: Wayward Pines #1 by Blake Couch

 My Rating: 1.0


Secret Service Agent Ethan Burke arrives in Wayward Pines, Idaho, with a mission: locate two federal agents who went missing in the bucolic town one month earlier. But within minutes of his arrival, Ethan is involved in a violent accident. He comes to in a hospital, with no ID, no cell phone, and no briefcase. He can't place any phone calls to the outside world, no one believes who he is and he discovers he not only can't leave the town but there is an electrified fence around the town.


This was akin to a very bad episode of The Twilight Zone. Oh the drama! It is hard to care when you don't connect with any of the characters, to go along with a VERY far fetched plot. It was one far fetched scene after another - all of which were supposed to be nail biters but failed since the plot dragged and the characters weren't likable. It was annoying, not scary. Ethan makes poor decisions and expects everyone to listen to him, give him free meals and hotels, etc. because he is a Federal Agent, despite having no I.D. This book was very poorly written. I loved Dark Matters by this author so was very disappointed with how much this book dragged. I will definitely NOT be reading the other books in this series and wish I could get my time back from this one.

2 comments:

  1. I tried reading this and 100% agree with you. BTW, There was a TV show years ago. I never watched it. I will say that if you haven’t read this author’s more recent books you should try them. Dark Matter and Recursion were enjoyable for me.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Dark Matter. I will add Recursion to my library hold list - thank you! ♥

    ReplyDelete