The Queen's Cousin My Rating: 4.8
Scotland, 1594
Nineteen-year-old Anne of Denmark, Queen of Scotland, is thrilled and triumphant at the birth of a healthy baby boy, destined to reign as King of Scotland and, possibly, England.
But Anne’s enjoyment of maternal glory quickly fades as her husband, King James, fearing his son will be politically manipulated against him as he was against his mother, the deceased Mary Queen of Scots, removes the child permanently from her care.
Outraged, Anne tries to regain control of her son, initiating a bitter marital struggle that sours what had been a loving and harmonious marriage.
Anne is haunted by the giant legacies of Mary Stuart and Elizabeth Tudor on the thrones of Scotland and England, and she is determined to make her own mark.
Central to that ambition is securing the succession to the English throne from her husband’s cousin, the elderly and childless Queen Elizabeth.
I love how these books bring lesser-known people and events in history to life. I had no idea that Anne went to battle against James over their son Henry, or how the crowns of Scotland and England eventually came together. So interesting!
I also love how readable the writing is and that the books are relatively short while still giving me so much fascinating history. I’m diving right into the next one!

No comments:
Post a Comment