Monday, August 3, 2026

The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig

The Whistling Season My Rating: 4.8

Set in rural Montana in 1909, The Whistling Season begins when widower Oliver Milliron answers a newspaper ad from Rose Llewellyn, a cheerful housekeeper who arrives with her brilliant, unconventional brother, Morris Morgan. When the local schoolteacher unexpectedly leaves, Morris steps in, bringing lessons that extend far beyond the classroom and forever change the lives of Oliver, his sons, and the children of the small farming community.


I started this as an audiobook, but the narration made it feel overly syrupy sweet, and I almost DNF'd it. Thankfully, I switched to the Kindle version and decided to give it another chance. I'm so glad I did—it turned out to be a wonderful, heartwarming story with memorable characters and plenty of wisdom. I highly recommend this book, but I'd skip the audiobook and read it instead. I will be interested to hear what my book club thinks of this when we meet next week.


2 comments:

  1. Isn’t it amazing how an audio narration can change the tone of a book so much? Good call to switch. It sounds very interesting.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It put me off so bad that I almost didn't give the kindle a try. Thank goodness I did as it was very enjoyable. I think you would like it. ♥

      Delete