Tuesday, May 17, 2016

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

My rating: 4.8

In the 1950's, Elena and Lila are growing up in Naples. As they grow, as their paths repeatedly diverge and converge, Elena and Lila remain best friends whose respective destinies are reflected and refracted in the other. 


For me, this book captured girls, women, friendships, Italy, childhood and so much more. I think Ferrante is such a gifted writer and she transports me to the streets of Italy where I feel know all the charactes and can empathize with their feelings. It brought Italy and the dialect back to me. I can't wait to read more in this series.  I realize that Ferrante's writing is not happy or uplifting but her elegant but simple prose makes me want to return to it again and again.





3 comments:

  1. Elle -

    Glad you enjoyed...the writer made it on to my radar after your review of The Days of Abandonment.

    It took me a little while to get into My Brilliant Friend and there were times early on that I wasn't sure I would continue the series. The writing was lovely but I was a little bored during the building of the characters and story (not sure why either, I usually love character development)and then in the last 100-150 pages of the book she hooked me. Not to give anything away but OMG the ending had me on pins and needles waiting to receive book 2 from the library. Currently waiting for book 3.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Now I can't wait to start book #2! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one too. And then read the next two in the trilogy. Very good books. I love her character development. At times I really liked Elena and Lila but other time I thought they were both just awful. I enjoyed reading about the other characters in their lives and finding out what happens to them.

    ReplyDelete