Monday, June 6, 2016

Everyone Brave Is Forgiven by Chris Cleave

My rating: 2.0

I absolutely loved Cleave's first book Little Bee (which I strongly recommend) so initially I was happy when this book about WWII was picked for a book club.  I tried.  I really did. I got almost 60% of the way through before I gave up.  



Cleave can be a wonderful writer but I didn't care for any of the characters. So many of the story lines were recycled.  Everything felt flat and contrived and I truly did not care. It is so sad when Cleave is talented that this comes across as trying too hard and just didn't grab me.



2 comments:

  1. I was at Half Price Books last week and had the book in my hand and a woman and I started talking. We liked some of the same books and she told me she really had a tough time with the book so I left it behind and thought I could get from the library if I changed my mind. Your review confirms that probably not for me. Thanks for reviewing
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regret to say that my library didn't have it so I bought it for book club :-( So glad you saved your money and your time.

      Delete