Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A Mother's Reckoning by Sue Klebold

My rating: 4.8

Columbine is a word that we all know from that horrific school shooting in 1999. For Sue Klebold, this was the day her son turned into a murderer and committed suicide. She walks through everything from Dylan's childhood, the day of the shooting and the aftermath. She also explores mental illness and bullying in trying to understand what happened.


While this is so sad and disturbing, it was also so well done. It was 'real'. Sue Klebold's honesty, openness and ability to consider all sides of the situation in order to try to understand what happened was incredible. Her grace and dignity brought tears to my eyes. So very sad but also a worthwhile read.

2 comments:

  1. Good to know that this was done well. I need to get to this and Columbine soon. I keep putting both off because I know they will be difficult to read so I need to be in the right frame of mind to take them on.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are difficult to read and both so different. For me, Columbine was more factual and A Mother's Reckoning was factual but much more emotional. I have nothing but respect for Sue Klebold - she opened her heart and soul. I can only imagine how painful this would have been for her to write and yet she did it to help others. You are right that you need to be in the right frame of mind but I think they were so good. Would recommend Columbine to be read first as it is 'drier'. Thanks for the recommendation on this one :-)

    ReplyDelete