Monday, March 6, 2017

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

My rating: 2.8

This is about the hellish lives of the slaves on a cotton plantation in Georgia. Most of this story centers around Cora. While this captures the horrors for black people in the pre-civil War era, this book does not accurately portray history (the Underground Railroad was NOT literal) and was poorly written. While I obviously felt for the plight of the people and what happened, the writing was so poor that I didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters.


There is no denying that this was a horrible time in American history but there are so much better books about this. One of my favorites is Someone Knows My Names which accurately captures history and has fabulous writing with characters that you care about so much that it will wrench your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment