Saturday, September 1, 2018

Educated by Tara Westover

Rating:  3.0

This is the story of a fundamentalist/survivalist Mormon family. Tara tells her story of being raised off the grid, with no birth certificate, no formal schooling with a very extreme religious and dysfunctional family.


For me, this wasn't unique. I am familiar with so many people with similar stories and some who have broken free and others who have chosen to stay that this didn't have an allure for me. I agree with others that say it seemed far-fetched she could have gone to Harvard/Cambridge as not only do scholarships don't cover everything but as someone put it "Intelligence is not the main thing required to attend Harvard or Cambridge; being able to pass exams and perform the system's dance is. Someone without formal education should have no idea how to do that."

This definitely had a pleasing writing style that was meant for the masses. It was entertaining but not a must read in my books.

2 comments:

  1. I have been back and forth about reading this book. Thanks for saving me the time.
    Jeana
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad as it had promise but for me, it just didn't deliver.

      Delete