Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim

My Rating: 4.8

They say we are formed by our relationships with the women who raise us. Moments after Lisbeth is born, she’s taken from her white mother and handed over to an enslaved wet nurse, Mattie, who is a young mother separated from her own infant son in order to care for her tiny charge. Thus begins an intense relationship that will shape both of their lives for decades to come. Though Lisbeth leads a life of privilege, she finds nothing but loneliness in the company of her overwhelmed mother and her distant, slave-owning father



This had me from the first chapter. Such a beautifully told story with Mattie having such a beautiful heart despite her circumstances. I felt that the ending was a bit contrived but did enjoy it.  The first portion about Mattie was my favorite but I think I liked Someone Knows My Name a bit better. 

2 comments:

  1. Adding to my library list now. I haven't heard anything about this book and never read anything by the author. Thanks Elle!
    Jeana
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you love it Jeana! BTW, I enjoy your book updates on Instagram :-) xoxo

      Delete