Monday, October 22, 2018

It Ain't So Awful, Falafel by Firoozeh Dumas

My Rating: 4.9

Zomorod Yousefzadeh (Cindy) and her parents move from Iran to California and she is determined to fit in. Despite the overthrow of the Shah, Iranian hostage takings and other Iranian events that some people feel Cindy must be personally responsible for, this is such a fun book filled with bean bag chairs, puka shells and other things I remember. It captures being a young girl and friendships.


This book kept me up far too late reading and laughing. That newspaper route scene still can make me chuckle! It captured so much including how it would feel to immigrate with your family and, despite being a child, that they look to you to understand the language and culture. The history lesson portions felt objective and well done. I absolutely LOVED this book and will be reading more by this author.

2 comments:

  1. On my TBR...how do you think this would work for book club?

    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have picked it for my month in December. I think it will work well as it is a good mix of fun (things everyone can relate to growing up as a young girl) to political events that unfolded with the Shah and Iran.

      Delete