Sunday, March 20, 2022

Team of Teams by Stanley McChrystal

 My Rating: 4.9


When General Stanley McChrystal took the helm in 2004, America was losing that war badly: despite vastly inferior resources and technology, Al Qaeda was outmaneuvering America’s most elite warriors. McChrystal came to realize that today’s faster, more interdependent world had overwhelmed the conventional, top-down hierarchy of the US military. Al Qaeda had seen the future: a decentralized network that could move quickly and strike ruthlessly. To defeat such an enemy, JSOC would have to discard a century of management wisdom, and pivot from a pursuit of mechanical efficiency to organic adaptability.

I didn't want to read this book as I don't enjoy non-fiction books, I don't like business books and I expected it to be dry and boring. That being said, I really enjoyed it. I loved all of the background he gave as to how/why things came to be - in the military as well as in business organizations - and why it is outdated. It left me feeling very empowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment