Monday, March 11, 2019

The Witch's Elm by Tana French

My Rating: 4.7

Toby considers himself lucky. He just avoided a potential issue with work and is out having a drink at the pub with his lads. He goes home and is woken in the middle of the night to burglars in the other room. He confronts them with nothing except a candlestick and wakes up in really BAD shape in the hospital.

Toby's Uncle Hugo has terminal cancer so, Toby decides to go to the family ancestral home and take care of Uncle Hugo and recuperate from his own injuries. When a skull is found in the old Witch's Elm tree and detectives start asking questions, Toby isn't sure what he remembers and what is real.


Do NOT read too much as the ending is great and I wouldn't want it spoiled for you. As always, Tana's writing and ability to pull you in to the characters and the mystery are without parallel. I think I may love the Dublin Murder series a bit more but this was fabulous. Get the audio version from your library!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Elle, this is on my TBR and I have heard mixed reviews on this book. I will keep it on my list, I trust that our taste is similar so I am sure I will enjoy too.
    Jeana
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is different than her other books and, at first, I wasn't sure if I was going to get in to it or not. I think the audiobook helped me get a 'feel' for the characters and by the end, I was enjoying it a lot! I hope you do as well xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love how much Tana French gets us in the mind of the characters and how they are deeply human (and as such, deeply flawed). I also find intriguing that she sometimes delivers “happy” endings and other times not so happy ones for her main characters, in different books. Never a dull moment with this author. Thanks for recommending her Elle! Claudia from Calgary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Hope you try the Year of Yes as that might get you out of your funk xoxo

      Delete