Thursday, June 13, 2024

The Road from Belhaven by Margot Livesey

My Rating: 4.4


Lizzy is being raised by her Grandparents on their farm in Belhaven. As a small child, she sees 'pictures' and quickly realizes that they are glimpses of the future but, she can't change it. Lizzy falls in love with a man named Louis and follows him to Glasgow only to realize she can't change his heart. 

Lizzy makes several bad decisions which caused me to not feel as fondly for her as I did in the beginning of the book. Some of the pacing felt off - at times it felt very slow and at the end it was rushed. It also felt like the focus shifted from the first part of the book being about her sight and the second half of the book being about her trying to scrape the remnants of her poor decisions into a respectable life. It had some feeling of a YA novel but was enough to hold my attention. I did enjoy the writing and would read more by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment