Monday, April 16, 2012

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow. I just finished this book and am feeling the ripple effects of the words, phrasing and plot. This will be one that I turn over and over in my mind.  I can see why this won the 2011 Man Booker Prize.

This is one of those books where, the less you know about it the better so, I won’t reveal too much here. This book is told by Tony, one of a group of three friend in high school. Their group is joined by a fourth, Adrian. The telling varies between their high school years and a middle aged Tony. I am in awe of Julian Barnes. His writing is amazing. It seems deceptively simple and yet captures so much. I have never found someone explain the elusiveness of memory….the remembering and forgetting, and reinterpreting the past…so clearly. This book was a wonderful journey. When Tony reread his letter, I felt like I needed a shot of whiskey as I was reeling with shock. There were so many times along the way I thought I saw what was coming when, in fact, Barnes allowed my smugness on the smallest of scales while the core secret didn’t unfold until the last pages. Don’t read anything more about this book or it will spoil it. Go quickly and devour this book for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment