Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

The Casual Vacancy
My rating: 3.2 of 5 stars

JK Rowling has wonderful writing but, IMO, the story line was not great. It is a British soap opera and doesn't have any redeeming characters - although I did find myself turning the pages wanting to know what depths each character could sink to (like a guilty little pleasure of watching some trashy show). The ending felt like she was trying for a movie with all the characters having some calamity. I was waiting for a big car chase where the cars flip and set the whole town on fire and, I don't know that I would care. I admire her that she would cross genres with an adult non-fiction book but, the story-line just fell short and didn't leave me caring.

For anyone who is interested, I did up my own character list as I couldn't find one on the web. Once I did this up, this book is very simple and easy to follow. I hope that it helps others as well.
http://lenoreaz.blogspot.com/2012/10/...

No comments:

Post a Comment