Friday, November 14, 2014

The Long Narrow Road To The Deep North by Richard Flanagan


My rating: 4.8


I was torn on how to rate this.  On one hand, the story of Dorrigo Evan's time with a group of Australian POWs during WWII was told in absolutely stunning vignettes.  On the other hand, it was so stunning that it still troubles me.  It is graphic, dark and has left me haunted.  



This is more intense and bleak stuff than Cormac McCarthy and, unlike McCarthy's apocalyptic projections it is based on history.  I do not recommend this if you are at all prone to depression or in a dark mood as it will only pull you deeper down into the abyss.  I also do not recommend it if you are squeamish. Still, an absolutely gorgeous piece of writing and I can see why it won the Man Booker Prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment