Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Death's Head Chess Club by John Donoghue

Rating: 2.5

I have to be one of the few people who didn't care for this book. It has an interesting premise:  In the past, a prisoner Jew who played chess for survival at Auschwitz against SS chess players.  In the present, as a grandmaster playing in an Amsterdam tournament that who happens upon the Nazi official that oversaw the Auschwitz tournaments. 




It was wordy and drawn out and seemed to be missing substance. Maybe it was the audio version but, I didn't feel for any of the characters.  I know many people are saying this was their favorite book for this year and I wish I felt that way but it just didn't grab me and I was very glad to be done with it.  If you read it (instead of the audio version) let me know if you felt that was more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment