Saturday, May 14, 2016

The One And Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

My rating: 4.6

Ivan has spent twenty-seven years behind the glass walls of his enclosure in a shopping mall and has grown accustomed to humans watching him. He hardly ever thinks about his life in the jungle. Instead, Ivan occupies himself with television, his friends Stella and Bob, and painting. But when he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from the wild, he is forced to see their home, and his art, through new eyes.



I listened to this on audio.  At first I wasn't sure if I was going to get in to a story told by a gorilla but, the narration soon had me enraptured and caught up in this wonderful Young Adult novel. I can see why it was a 2013 Newbery Medal winner and a #1 besteller on the New York Times list. 




1 comment:

  1. Elle-
    I am glad you enjoyed. I thought it was such a sweet story. I live in Atlanta and the gorilla that the story was based upon ended up in the Atlanta zoo, whixh is what drew me to the book.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete