Tuesday, February 14, 2017

All The Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

My Rating: 4.9

WARNING: This book is not for everyone as it covers subject matter that could make some VERY uncomfortable. If you can't suspend your discomfort, then this book isn't for you. If you can, don't read too much about this book, just get it and read ... and prepare for the most amazing ride.

Eight year old Wavy's father runs a meth ring and this book follows Wavy's journey as she grows up amidst so many challenges. One night, everything changes when she sees Kellen, a tattooed ex-con that works for her father, wreck his motorcycle.


This was such a beautiful book that captured so much on so many levels. It also made me explore some of my own perceptions which I always find interesting.

To cover such a taboo topic matter where the reader gets past the feelings of discomfort (sometimes skin crawling discomfort!) and are cheering for the characters takes amazing skill...and Greenwood pulled it off impeccably. There were a few parts that I felt didn't fit Wavy's characters and the last portion of the book didn't have the same depth but Greenwood's writing would have me overlook just about anything. Emotionally stunning.

The writing was exquisite and the characters were real. I love you all the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment