Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

My rating: 4.8

Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

Monique listens as Evelyn tells all from her start in the 1950's to her exit in the 1980's along with her flings and marriages along the way.


I thoroughly enjoyed this. With HollyWeird how it is today, this was a throwback to the 'glamour days' which also included a lot of politics and scheming but somehow was more "pure" (wrong word to describe the sordidness but, you hopefully know what I mean). Even though Evelyn is a blonde haired Cuban girl, I couldn't help picturing Liz Taylor throughout the whole book. This tackled some serious topics and handled them beautifully. A quick read that I utterly enjoyed and I had no idea of the ending.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am so glad you reviewed this. It was an option for my Book of the Month a couple of months ago. I was intrigued but I ended up selecting another book instead because I hadn't heard anything about Seven Husbands. Need to see if the library has it now.
    Jeana
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my "bests" of 2017. Really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete