Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Weight of Heaven by Thrity Umrigar

My Rating: 3.0

It has only been four months since Frank and Ellie's only boy, Benny, died. The raw grief is palapable, as is the rift in their marriage. When Frank's company offers him a job in India, he is about to decline but Ellie sees this as a way for them to have a fresh start and persuades Frank that they should move.

I felt like I was being lectured to throughout this whole book. I don't recall Umrigar involving her political views in previous books and that REALLY detracted from my enjoyment of this book. I do understand how she built it into the storyline but I feel she could have easily built the story around the Frank and Ellie, their loss, their marriage, India and left out the political aspect. Although this isn't on part with Umrigar's other books, the writing is beautiful and she captures so much in her phrasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment