Sunday, February 2, 2020

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins

My Rating: 5.0

This starts with a young boy at his cousins quincenara. He is the bathroom going pee when a bullet whips by his head. He barely has time to register what has happened when his mother comes in and pushes him down to the ground covering him with her body. When the shooting stops and the voices of the three men they heard are gone, all 16 of their family members are dead. They know they will be next and have to leave immediately. This is the beginning of their fleeing and this entrancing book.


I have just read my first "Best Of" book for 2020. The sad news is, it is going to be the bar I measure all other books against and it will be tough to beat. Wow. Jeanine Cummins captures so much in her phrasing - not only of the characters but of the landscape, the emotions and the journey. This was a gripping read that I didn't want to end. I will definitely be reading others by this author. Tip: start this book when you can be up way late, as you won't be able to put this down. 

4 comments:

  1. There has been so much controversy around this book but I still want to read it.
    Thanks for the review!
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have heard, the controversy is that the author is writing about Hispanics and she isn't from Mexico. I think that is innane! Did JK Rowling have to go to Hogwarts to write Harry Potter? Does that mean no male author can every write female characters or vice versa? Also, it is "fiction" - she doesn't claim it is a biography. I judge a book on whether or not it is well written and this one is off the charts amazing! Also, every other book I have read or documentary that I have seen on the subject tells me that this author researched things very well and did a fabulous job of portraying the situation. I honestly feel bad for the author....well, except for her 7 figure paycheck :-) She deserved that but everything else is so innane. Will be interested to hear your thoughts my friend.

      Delete
  2. I respect the criticism from Latin writers, most notably Myriam Gurba, who are more intimate with the challenges of frightened immigrants. However this book works very well and is a must read because it increases public awareness. Families from Mexico and Central America are risking their lives for a better life and despite the political slant of the book, immigration policies could possibly become more compassionate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check out Myriam Gurba - thank you!

      Delete