Thursday, July 28, 2022

A Light Beyond The Trenches by Alan Hlad

 My Rating: 5.0


In WWI, four very different lives intertwine across Europe from Germany to France—Anna is a German Red Cross nurse, her fiance Bruno is a soldier tortured by deadly secrets of his own, and his tormented French mistress. and Max is Jewish pianist blinded on the battlefield, 

Hlad is a very gifted writer who captures every character so well - including Max's guide dog Nia and Anna's father Norbie. From the overrun hospitals to having to scrounge for turnips and leeks for their meals, you feel like you are right there in the cold of Germany. I couldn't wait to get back to this book. I think I may have enjoyed this even more than The Long Flight Home - although they were both amazing. I can't wait to read more by this author.

2 comments:

  1. You know this is right up my alley. Adding to my TBR now.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love it! He is a great author and I plan on reading all his books. ♥

      Delete