Wednesday, January 17, 2024

River Sing Me Home by Eleanor Shearer

River Sing Me Home


 My Rating: 4.9


In 1834, England has decreed that slaves will be freed. The Caribbean Islands decide to defy the Emancipation Act of 1834. On a slavery plantation in Barbados when they announce the slaves are 'free' but must work another six years as 'apprentices' before they will be freed, Rachel decides to run.


She decides to search for the five children who survived child birth but were taken from her. This dangerous expedition takes her from Barbados to British Guiana and finally to Trinidad. This is the story of each of her five children but more than anything, it is the quest of Rachel's love to reunite her family and to find life as freedom.


This was equisite - both the writing and the story. The only caveat is that this is written in the Creole. Sometimes the vernacular can be abrasive unless you understand the origins

2 comments:

  1. Wow, never heard of this one. I appreciate you for bringing this book to my attention. Adding to my library list.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you enjoyed this one. I thought it was REALLY good. ♥

      Delete