Monday, April 29, 2024

The Vaster Wilds by Lauren Groff



My Rating: 4.2

A servant girl escapes from a colonial settlement in the wilderness. She carries nothing with her but her wits, a few possessions, and the spark of god that burns hot within her. What she finds in this terra incognita is beyond the limits of her imagination and will bend her belief in everything that her own civilization has taught her.

This book got RAVE reviews so I am in the minority. For me, the story dragged at times and I felt it should have been edited down. Some mentioned that this book was dark and depressing which I can see when she was questioning God and thinking that bears had souls. Overall, I was fascinated by her ability to survive and her resourcefulness. As always, even if the storyline doesn't enthrall me, Groff's writing is lyrical.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment