Monday, April 15, 2013

The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian


The Sandcastle Girls

My rating:  1.8

This was a fascinating topic I knew nothing about - the Armenian Genocide - but it fell flat for so many reasons.  There are authors who, through what they don't say, make you feel so much of the horrors.  Bohjalian is not one of those.  He likes to rub your nose in the atrocities until you start skimming to get past all those gory details that feel like they were written for a movie.  It was a genocide....we get it.  The characters didn't feel well developed.  Normally I really enjoy story lines that flash back and forth from present to past but, somehow this didn't work for me.  I recognize he was trying to use the present to lighten up all the heavy details we were just subjected to but, the contrast was so pronounced that the current day felt fluffy and light. I wanted to like this book but, didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment