Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante

Rating: 4.9

Wow. Uncomfortable, distasteful, gritty and raw. After being left by her husband, this is Olga's descent into madness.  This got so dark and uncomfortable that 60% of the way through (during the scene where she can't focus on her dog or her children), I was going to stop reading. I am glad I didn't but this was not a fun or easy read. 

Watching someone's life fall apart is never easy but, feeling it with such powerful force is extremely uncomfortable. Olga came completely undone when her husband left her and you feel it. Ferrante is a writing force that doesn't pull any punches. 


This is definitely not for everyone. I am not rating it this high due to the story or even saying I recommend it but you have to give kudoes to Ferrante for being able to write so impactfully.

Warning: extreme raw graphic language

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elle -

    I received my Bookmarks today. I would love to hear what you intend to read from this issue. I am planning to dive in tonight
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be a mind reader Jeana! I just got mine today and published a post with the books I am going to read. Let me know what I have missed but I plan on combing through it more when we hit the beach in Maui :-)

      Delete