Monday, July 31, 2017

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

My rating: 4.6

This sweeping multi-generational saga starts in Korea in the early 1900's with the unplanned pregnancy of Sonja threatening to shame her family. An unexpected offer of marriage can save her but will take her to Japan where Koreans are despised.


This is a beautifully written quiet book that was extremely enjoyable. I felt for the characters and there were a couple of points where I audible bemoaned some of their choices. The only slight criticism I would have is that while I do understand that it was a saga but felt that it could have been edited down a bit. Still, all in all, a fabulous read.

2 comments:

  1. I have this packed for vacation, along with a couple of lightweight thrillers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love the book and have a fabulous vacation Jacqueline! xoxo

      Delete