Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

My rating: 5.0

It is 1974 and former POW Ernt Allbright comes home a changed man. He thinks that inheriting some land with a house on it in Alaska could be the new lease on life that he and his family so desperately need.  He takes his wife Clara and 13 year old daughter Leni to live off the grid in the wilds of Alaska. This is about love, coming of age story, family and about Alaska....and Hannah captures all of it flawlessly.

There wasn't one thing that I didn't love about this book.  WOW! Every character, even the unlikable ones, were so well done. I was in Maui and Arizona while reading this and with Hannah's descriptions of Alaska, I felt cold! You understand how hard and unforgiving Alaska is and how this family wasn't prepared to deal with it and so many other things. I also loved The Nightingale. She could be my new favorite author.

No comments:

Post a Comment