Friday, December 21, 2018

Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon

My Rating: 1.5

Florence lives in an old folks home and has fallen. As she lies on the carpet waiting for someone to rescue her, the story unfolds of a new resident in the home who she thinks is from her past.


The first chapter, I thought I knew what was going on but told myself "no, that wouldn't be so obvious". I kept reading and tried to put that thought out of my mind so, when right near the end they have "THE BIG REVEAL" and it happened exactly as I had thought in chapter 1, to say I felt it was cheezy and predictable is an understatement. I also felt the author was intentionally trying to manipulate our feelings (hate that!) with the sentimentality. There was a lot of over dramatic writing to try to pass it off as amazing prose or trying to be cute. Too bad as this had promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment