Monday, February 4, 2019

Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

My Rating: 3.0

Washington Black is an eleven-year-old field slave who knows no other life than the Barbados sugar plantation where he was born. When his master's eccentric brother "Titch" chooses him to be his manservant, Wash is terrified of the cruelties he is certain await him. Titch is a naturalist, explorer, scientist, inventor, and abolitionist and opens Wash's eyes to many things Wash had never thought of.


I wanted to love this book as the first 1/3rd of the book storyline pulled me in and had me eagerly reading on for more. Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn't deliver. It was long, meandering and had bizarre contrived story lines. Sad, as it had great promise.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I had such high hopes for this one. Thanks for saving me the disappointment. Have a Great weekend!
    Jeana
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you will feel differently?!? If you try it, you will have to let me know your thoughts Jeana. I hope you have a fabulous weekend xoxo

      Delete