Wednesday, April 17, 2019

That Kind of Mother by Rumaan Alam

My Rating: 3.0

Rebecca is a new mother who is deeply in love and also deeply overwhelmed by her newborn son. Priscilla works at the hospital and helps Rebecca navigate new motherhood so easily that she begs Priscilla to come home with her and be her nanny. Rebecca is white and Priscilla is black and much of the book is centered around questioning what that means.



I was torn as to how rate/review this book. It had such promise and even the highly literate rambling thoughts of Rebecca drew me in for a while. It explores, race, motherhood and adoption so well. At some point, it all became too much and I felt like I was getting beaten over the head with the privilege vs. prejudice. Rebecca's once intriguing rambling thoughts seemed neurotic and there were too many angry people with no plot to help sustain them. I would be open to reading something else by Alam in future but don't recommend this.

No comments:

Post a Comment