Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The Night Tiger by Yangsze Choo

My Rating: 2.0

When Ren's master dies, he has to find his finger to reunite it with the body. Ren has to do this in 49 days after his master's death or his soul will forever roam the earth.

Ji Lin wants to be a doctor but, as a girl in 1930's Malaysia a dressmaker is the best she can hope for. Ji Lin also moonlights as a dancehall girl to help pay off her beloved mother's Mahjong debts. One night, Ji Lin's dance partner leaves her with a gruesome souvenir: a severed finger. Convinced the finger is bad luck, Ji Lin enlists the help of her erstwhile stepbrother to return it to its rightful owner.

As the 49 days tick down, and a prowling tiger wreaks havoc on the town, Ji Lin and Ren's lives intertwine in ways they could never have imagined.


I know I am in the minority in my rating of this book but I thought it was awful. It isn't that Choo is a bad author as I quite enjoyed the writing. It is that the story was absolutely boring. Throwing in some touches of local customs and folklore doesn't a story make. The characters were flat and there was no story other than what I put above. I should have stopped reading this as it was a complete waste of time. Definitely do not recommend. If this is an indication of Reese Witherspoon's book picks, I will skipping them. UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment