Thursday, September 9, 2021

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

 My Rating: 3.5


Twenty years of correspondence between Helene Hanff, a freelance writer living in New York City, and Frank Doel, an employee at used-book dealer Marks & Co. Booksellers in London. Through the years, though they never meet and are separated both geographically and culturally, their relationship comes to life through common love for books. 

This book won't be for everyone. I don't think I would have enjoyed it at all had it not been on audio and quite short. I did enjoy how it included so many post-war facts (the rations etc) although I didn't feel any connection whatsoever to Helene with her very New York humor. . 

1 comment:

  1. I have had this book on my TBR for years. You beat me to it and saved me several hours of reading to read an average book. Hope you weekend is nice.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete