Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Intimacies by Katie Kitamura

My Rating: 4.7


An interpreter has come to The Hague to escape New York and work at the International Court. A woman of many languages and identities, she is looking for a place to finally call home.

This is a tough one to review. The writing was beautiful and rich. Kitamura captures everything so well - life in The Hague, the intricacies of being a translator in the Court and the complexities of the friendships but, very little happens. This is neither character driven nor plot driven. It unfolds in a quiet, lyrical way. I enjoyed it a lot but realize that this book won't be for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I am intrigued. Adding to my list.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of the people that I think might enjoy this. Very difficult to review but I did enjoy it.

      Delete