Wednesday, October 27, 2021

We Were Killers Once by Becky Masterman

 My Rating: 3.5


This recounts the famous Truman Capote murders from In Cold Blood. The family of four that were murdered by Perry Smith, Dick Hickock....and possibly one additional person. 

Maybe it was my mood or maybe it was that this wasn't on audio like the other books I read in the series but, this was not near as enjoyable for me. I felt very pulled down as I got immersed into the multiple killings and the cold dysfunctional of the killers - which may mean it was well written but just not for me. Sadly disappointing when I enjoyed the other three books in this series. I did enjoy the tie in with history and that it made me research a few things.

2 comments:

  1. Who can top "In Cold Blood"?!

    I'm feeling the same way about a book I just started - "Litani" by Jess Lourey. I usually love her books (and suspense/mystery books in general) but these days I'm not sure my nervous system can handle more stress. May stick to cozy mysteries for the holiday season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Topping In Cold Blood would be pretty dang hard. I found the premise interesting but all of the characters and the story was pretty depressing. I missed the spirited fun that was mixed into her previous books.

      Delete