Monday, August 21, 2023

Stealing by Margaret Verble

My Rating: 4.9


In the 1950's, Kit, a Cherokee child is reported for socializing with an undesirable woman in the neighborhood. Sad events lead to Kit being removed from her home and put in a Christian boarding school where her life becomes horrific. 



Growing up in British Columbia (and visiting the Eastern Provinces), I was aware of the tragic forced schooling of Native American children - and the abuse that they endured before being kicked out on to the streets when they came of age. This books captures some of the abuse in a very calm factual way. So much sadness in the tragic circumstance but a story that needs to be told. Thanks to my book-twin Jeana shoegaljeana on Instagram for this recommendation.

2 comments:

  1. I had to double check because it sounded familiar but that is because I read Five Little Indians about the school for Indigenous kids recently. I haven’t read this one but I am adding this one to my list!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is too funny! I knew I had read about that topic on your blog and when this book popped up in my queue, I just figured it was you that recommended it. i will have to get Five Little Indians. ♥

      Delete