Friday, September 15, 2023

Operation Paper Clip: The Secret Intelligence Program that Brought Nazi Scientists To America by Anne Jacobsen

 My Rating: 4.6


In the chaos following World War II, the US government faced many difficult decisions, including what to do with the Third Reich's scientific minds. These were the brains behind the Nazis' once-indomitable war machine. So began Operation Paperclip, a decades-long, covert project to bring Hitler's scientists and their families to the United States. Many of these men were accused of war crimes, and others had stood trial at Nuremberg; one was convicted of mass murder and slavery. They were also directly responsible for major advances in rocketry, medical treatments, and the US Space Program. Was Operation Paperclip a moral outrage, or did it help America win the Cold War?

This was LONG and I think it could have been edited down a lot. I do appreciate that she wanted to show all of the background and research but I think it could have been edited down a LOT. Still, it was interesting to learn about this time in history. It is definitely a dilemma as to whether we made the right move or not to allow such horrific individuals to escape their crimes and to come to America to help our scientific endeavors. Thanks to Jenna on Instagram shoegaljeana for this recommendation.

3 comments:

  1. 😔 So I totally loved the workshop about this story and immediately got the book but have yet to read it. I need to get to it as soon as I finish two book club books. Thanks for the reminder, I know based on the workshop that I want to know the whole story
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, this is funny that this is the 2nd time I "got a book from you" that you haven't read yet! LOL! It is good but just REALLY long. Great for someone who wants all the details to know that everything that author is saying is true. BTW, I just realized I have been mis-spelling your name - so sorry my friend! ♥

      Delete
    2. Oh I 100% told you about this book after I heard about it in a workshop about the German scientists. I am just behind in picking it up. No worries about the spelling. Everyone spells and pronounces it differently. I get Jenna, Gina, Gena. I answer to all🤣.

      Delete