Wednesday, August 4, 2021

The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah

 My Rating: 2.7


1934 Texas. Millions are out of work and a drought has broken the Great Plains. It is not an ideal time for Elsa to find herself pregnant.

Again, I am in the minority on my thoughts on this book. I enjoyed the first half although it did drag and was so depressing (ok, I know it was the Great Depression lol!) It did a great job of capturing the drought and the dust. Despite the characters being simplistic and stereotypical, I did really enjoy the relationship between Elsa and her Martinelli in-laws. The second half of the book completely lost me. Loreda's epiphany of their life and suddenly 'happening' into a New Deal meeting, Elsa connecting with the group leader, blah blah blah. It took everything I could to finish this and wasn't worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn’t like this. There were slivers that I enjoyed but overall disappointing compared to her other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize I was in the minority. Maybe my mindset just wasn't right for it or my expectations were too high.

      Delete
    2. No, I totally see your issues with it. I think others liked it way more than you or I.

      Delete
  2. Elle, I agree 100%! First, the way our main character got pregnant was pretty odd, especially for those times. But what really did it for me was the 15 year old daughter going to the library, checking out and reading "The Communist Manifesto", and then she and her family end up as activists!!!! So unlikely in the early 1930s....plus somehow I felt the author was trying to make a subtle political statement-and that turned me OFF. I honestly enjoyed the first 3/4 of this book, but the last 1/4 ruined it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thank you for saying this. I am so tired of every author wanting to make a political statement these days and the last 1/4 was horrible. Glad I am not alone ♥

      Delete